Till Startsidan(Snabbkommando: Alt+ 1)
Startpage / Living and working in Sweden

Living and working in Sweden

In order to live and work in Sweden you may need both a work permit and a residence permit. This depends on whether you are a citizen of the EU/EEA or a country outside of the EU/EEA. Special simplified rules, concluded by a Nordic agreement, apply to citizens of other Nordic countries.

Residence permit

For EU/EEA citizens
Citizens of the EU are entitled to work, study or live in Sweden if they fulfil the requirements for right of residence. There is no need to apply for a residence permit. By working, studying or by having sufficient means to support yourself you fulfil the right of residence. You also have the right to start and operate a business in Sweden. Read more on the Migration Agency’s website.

If you start your own business you need to register it at the Swedish Tax Agency and the Swedish Companies Registration Office. You can read more at verksamt.se.

A person who has lived for more than five years in the EU/EEA is entitled to long-term residence. Read more on the Migration Agency’s website.

For citizens of Nordic countries
For citizens from Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland and Norway there is a Nordic agreement that entitles Nordic citizens to live in any of the Nordic countries. There are no requirements for residence permits. If you stay in the sequence for one year you must however register on the Swedish Population Register. Read more at Norden.org.

If a member of your family is not a citizen of a Nordic country or the EU/EEA, a residence permit is required for that person. Read more on the Migration Agency’s website.

For citizens from a country outside the EU/EAA
If you are not an EU citizen you must apply for a residence permit in order to stay in Sweden longer than 90 days. You can apply at the Swedish Embassy or the Consulate General in the country you are a citizen of, or at the Swedish Migration Agency for an extended visa for more than 90 days, or residence permit for independent business operators for more than three months.

If you intend to work as an artist, singer, musician, dancer or circus artist in Sweden, a work permit is required. In order to obtain a work permit you will need, among other things, a written invitation or an offer of work in Sweden with terms of employment that correspond to the Swedish collective trade union agreements and includes an approved minimum salary. Read more on the Migration Agency’s website.

If your employer is a so-called established arranger and is included in the Swedish Migration Agency’s list, you do not need to apply for a work permit. The arranger has already been approved by the Migration Agency.

For applications for work permits, read more on the Migration Agency’s website. From the date the Migration Agency receives the application it will take approximately four weeks to be processed.

If you have a work permit and want to continue working after your permit has expired you need to apply for an extension of your work permit. If you have had a permit as an employee and apply for an extension before your current permit expires, you are entitled to continue working while you wait for a decision.

Uppdaterad: 2019-01-21 Tipsa om sidan
  • Adress: Konstnärsnämnden, Maria skolgata 83, 2 tr, 118 53 Stockholm
  • Telefon: 08 - 506 550 00
  • E-post: info@konstnarsnamnden.se